Local time: 14 May, 20:00
Location: Base Camp
Weather: Windy at base camp, with snow. Calm now.
Hi it’s Paul at base camp. We woke this morning to much stronger winds than normal, so I was glad we are not up higher. However this evening the winds have dropped, so it looks good for summits tonight. We also just downloaded the latest weather forecast and it’s looking promising. More on this tomorrow.
A couple of days ago we had some high winds, and it caused some problems at camp 2 – our dining tent blew over. However the member sleeping tents were alright, which is important as many of us have gear stashed in them. My down suit is in my tent at C2, and it would be devastating to loose this.
It’s fair to say that weather is the topic on everyone’s lips. That and when they plan to “go up”.
Behind this, is thoughts of home, and people here are counting down the days till the end of May, when they are likely to be leaving. I have been away from home for just on one and a half months, and I was starting to get homesick when Fiona and her group arrived. It’s all about patience now, waiting for the right weather.
This year it felt like we were one of the later groups to get to base camp, however last year we were the first and this time last year, we had been away for nearly two months. I have been happy with the schedule of this trip. Let me explain how much time you need to get ready for a summit bid on Everest. You need about 5 days of rest when you arrive at bc, then it takes a week for each of your two acclimatization rotations, plus 5 days rest in between. This means you need a little less than a month to get ready, plus around 10 days to trek in. Get to BC and start too early and you risk being ready to early, and then deacclimatisating during the period we are in right now. Last year we were at BC on about April 3 and just sat here doing nothing until about April 24. This was because I was sick, but also we worked out that if we went up any earlier, then we risked being ready way too early.
I came down from C3 this year on May 8, so if I leave again on May 18 or 19 it will have been 10-11 days of rest. A little too much, but less than last year and still should be OK.
Hi Marg, Dorothy and Dr. Paul. We read your message out to Pertemba and he really enjoyed hearing your news. Later he explained to us all the trekking that you have done with him. I don’t know how long it’s been since you last saw him, but he is still very young looking and incredibly strong. To see him moving rocks around base camp is a sight to behold.
Hi Den and Tam, Great to hear your news. We’d love to check out Bonaire one day. I was hoping that it would shape up like last year with some summits before the 20th, and then I can go afterwards, but I am not sure. Today’s weather wasn’t good and might have put off the teams that are up high. Anyway it’s still very early days yet.
Hi WP. The meltwater seems about the same as last year. Earlier it was higher, but now it’s the same.
Hi Neil, I think I could still leave a summit attempt until late May, early June, although that’s not on the cards. The forecast models all have lower winds starting in May 21, so this is what I am aiming for now.
Hi Chris, Yes, the food is great. One of the things that I am liking most is that we are getting fresh fruit every day – mostly apples and mandarins.